Saturday, October 4, 2014

Sons Of Horus Reaver Squad - Painting Guide Part 2

Part 2 - Facial details. 

Last time I covered the fleshtones I use to build up a bit of depth, Now with that out of the way it's time to bring a touch of life to the model. 

Below a group of paints I used for the next phases, this includes teeth, tongue, and eyes. 


I mixed some Rhinox Hide and some Medium, with this I coloured the hair and eyebrows. 


I then moved on to the basecoats on all the details. I used a mix of Rhinox and Brass Scorpion for the brass areas and Boltgun Metal with Chaos Black for the metal areas. 
The Tongue was painted using a mix of Rhinox and Emperors Children, this was also given a wash of Agrax Earthshade. 

The eyes were painted with a thinned mix of white, but be mindful not to overload the brush otherwise you'll flood the area. Slow build up of colour and control is a must. 
Now for this guy I wanted to depict blue eyes, so I used a blue glaze over the whites of the eyes to give the colour I wanted. Once this was dry I reapplied the white mix into the corners of the eye. Finally a small dot of black was placed for each pupil, this bit is tricky. Many a time I have ended up with shocked or boss-eyed SpaceMarines. 










 Next along, I wanted to bring some small details out on the metal areas.
On the Boltgun parts I used Ironbreaker to highlight the egdes




 I then used the Tamiya weathering master (if you haven't used this product before I highly recommend it, fantastic results) I rubbed areas on the metal with the Burnt Blue and the Burnt Red, Both give metals a depth I can't get through washes. 



.This was then followed with a watery wash of Rhinox and Nuln Oil, to give a slighty oily look. And finally, with a sponge, I added Mithril Sliver and a blue glaze to give it a hard metal look.




 Next up the brass work, Two colours were used. Brass Scorpion and Runelord Brass.


Highlight layers of these two were added respectively. Also to finish this part of the kit off I used a mix of Rhinox, Screaming Skull and highlighted the hair, a wash of Agrax Earthshade wash added to pul the colours in better. 


Below are a few mugshots. 











Feel free to fire off any questions you might have. 


Many Thanks James. 

2 comments: